What information do we collect and why?
We (Council) use or ask for your personal information (such as your name, email address or street address) to:
- action your customer service requests or give you information you have asked for. For this purpose, we collect and use your information in accordance with the Local Government Act 1989.
- carry out our law enforcement responsibilities. For this purpose, we collect and use your information in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.
- to provide you with information on services you might be interested in
- to post or email you notices, e-newsletters and updates
- to invite you to participate in a survey for Council, recognising that Council provides services to a property in which you live, own, visit, or manage a business
- to administer incentives and prizes associated with research and engagement activities
Personal information will not be collected from any person who is known by Council to be under the age of fifteen (15) without the consent of a parent or legal guardian.
How do we protect your information?
We take all reasonable steps to keep your information secure. Your personal information is held securely and used only for the purposes listed above.
Do we give your information to anyone?
We are committed to safeguarding your privacy and will not disclose any personal information you provide (such as your name, email address or street address) to a third party without your consent, unless required by law or to action a customer service request.
We reserve the right to collect and disclose demographic and summarised information about website visitors provided the information does not reveal the identity of any individual visitor.
Liability and personal information
We are not liable for events or consequences arising from unauthorised access to your personal information. Please keep your contact details and passwords confidential. If you provide private information regarding any customer service requests (such as your email address or request number) to a third party, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
Survey and consultation responses
Council uses a number of software packages to collect online survey responses from our community members:
- Limesurvey: This is a surveying system hosted in Australia. Only Council employees and website administrators have access to the data collected using this system, and all data is stored on Australian servers.
- The Hive: This is an engagement platform where all data is hosted in Australia.Only Council employees and website administrators have access to the data collected using this system, and all data is stored on Australian servers.
How do we manage your personal information when collected for a survey or consultation?
The personal information collected via our online surveys or The Hive platform will only be used to address your comments or requests and improve our services.
Occasionally a survey will include a question whereby an answer might result in a respondent being identifiable. To maintain respondent anonymity we carefully review all data and will delete any instances that pose a risk of identification prior to analysis / storing the data file on internal systems.
Where we use the online surveying software to manage email invites to a survey, the email is stored in a separate data file to survey responses. These can be linked with a randomly generated code that is recognised only within the surveying system so that the software can identify those who have completed the survey (so as not to send them reminders). The survey data file does not contain any identifiable information (email address, street address or name). The address file held within the survey system is deleted at a time that is determined within industry guidelines.
Where it is necessary to collect contact details to provide an update on a project or incentive for survey participation, this information is collected and stored in a separate database to survey responses. The information is never used for any purpose other than to contact incentive recipients or to provide project updates The data file is stored on a secure system and is deleted at a time that is determined within industry guidelines or contractual arrangements.
If you don't want to complete a Council survey online or contribute to a consultation online, you can provide responses in writing by mailing them to; 20 Siding Avenue Officer or you can request a copy to be posted to you. To get a hard copy of a survey call our customer service centre on 1300 787 624 or email@example.com