Depending on the type of business you intend running, you may need additional licences, permits, or registrations from either the state or federal governments or Cardinia Shire Council.

Below is a list of rescources to help you in this process;

It is recommended that you check what other approvals your business might need via the BusinessVic website.

  • Is the type of business appropriate for the area?
  • Do you have sufficient car parking spaces for you and your customers?
  • What hours will your business be open?
  • What type of signage do you need?

Engage with our Planning team so that you can optimise the opportunities and meet requirements.

  • Do you have the right number and location of exits throughout your building?
  • Have you met fire safety requirements including fire extinguishers and smoke alarms?
  • How many patrons are you permitted to have for your building size; do you have adequate bathroom facilities?
  • Do you have access and bathroom facilities for people with disabilities?

Connect with our Building team so that you can improve opportunities and meet requirements.

  • Are you preparing or serving food?
  • Does your kitchen meet the minimum requirements according to the Food Act?
  • Is your business connected to a sewer and do you need to treat waste-water?
  • Does your business need to consider the Public Health and Wellbeing Act? (Premises such as hairdressers or tattoo parlours) The Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 requires particular Health premises to be registered with Council and meet the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009.

It is critical to follow specific laws and regulations when opening food premises in Cardinia Shire for the health and safety of you and the community. Before you serve food at your business, learn everything you need to know about food safety.

Work with our Local Laws team to maximise opportunities and comply with regulations.

Public Health and Wellbeing Act Registration for business

Some businesses require a Health Act registration to ensure compliance to conduct certain activities including:

  • Acupuncture
  • Ear piercing
  • Hairdressing
  • Beauty treatment and electrolysis.

If you are not sure if you are a business that needs to comply, just ask. It’s important to get it right. Visit the Victorian Department of Health website for more details.